Thursday, October 15, 2009

Devonport Tunnels



On the 11 of August 2009, I woke up to hear that we were going to the Devonport North Head Tunnels! These tunnels were used during the times of World War 1 and 2. It was real hard to imagine what each tunnel had been used for. Some tunnels went nowhere and some went to odd and funny places. We were all keen on knowing the story behind these caves and tunnels. What were they used for? Back in the day they had a steel net going from Devonport right over to Mission Bay to stop submarines from getting into the bay. Going into the tunnels we knew nothing, but coming out we knew more and found more to research. We all love the tunnels and I think it would be a great family trip out although walking was a bit tiring and I was wishing that someone would just carry me. There’s a myth that there’s still ammo under there and that it has been sealed off so if we were attacked we would have ammo to fight back. They also say that there’s an aeroplane beneath the ground in the tunnels. Myths...I don’t know if they are true or not, but I do know that we all loved our time at the tunnels in Devonport.

1 comment: